c1905 Lucas King of the Road Brass n432 Rear Lamp

£475.00




A nice looking paraffin oil fired Lucas 'King of the Road' No 432 Rear Lamp in good condition.

The lamp is made of brass with the main lamp being red glass. There are two slightly smaller lamps on either side, as position lights. The base of the lamp is made of blackened steel and it has a bayonet fitting for the insertion of the nickel plated oil reservoir and burner. There is a white metal label riveted to the front with: LUCAS No432 KING OF THE ROAD – JOS LUCAS LTD, B’HAM. There is a fixed brass handle to carry the lamp separately.

The Lucas company was started in 1875 by Joseph Lucas who began to manufacture paraffin lamps after realising the growing demand for them. The King of the Road lamps were first put on the market in 1878, with the original purpose of being used on bicycles. As the automotive industry started to grow at the beginning of 20th century, Lucas took the opportunity to become part of this emerging market. After parliament raised the speed limit above walking pace in 1902; Lucas became a major player within the marketplace, right up to the 1980's. The King of the Road was the name given to Lucas' highest quality range of paraffin lamps, often accompanied with a high price tag.

Size: 15 x 16.5 x 31.5 cm (6 x 6 ½ x 12 ½ inches)
Weight: 1911g