c1910 P&O S.S. Mooltan Liner Troopship Table Service Handbell

£150.00




A beautiful antique Table Service anchor shaped Handbell from the P&O Liner and Troopship S.S. Mooltan.

The bell is made of silver plater brass and is engraved S.S. Mooltan. The handle is in the form of a well-made gilded fouled anchor. Apart from patina of age, the bell is in very fine condition.

S.S. Mooltan had a short but distinguished career. She was built by Caird & Company of Greenock, Yard No 306 and launched on 3rd August 1905, for the P&O Steamship Company. Mooltan was powered by two steam quadruple expansion steam engines, giving her a service speed of 17 knots. She had accommodation for 348 1st and 166 2nd class passengers. She made her maiden voyage to Bombay. In 1906 she transferred to the London - Colombo - Melbourne - Sydney service and in 1911 took part in the Coronation Naval review at Spithead. During WWI the ship was converted into a Troopship with hospital, and mail ship, carrying Australian Imperial Force (AIF) troops and cargo. The 3rd Australian General Hospital, AIF, was set up in response to a request from the British War Office by Thomas Henry Fiaschi, a well-known Italian surgeon. Whilst operating in the Mediterranean, near Sardinia and escorted by two Japanese destroyers, on July 26th 1917, she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC-27. At the time of sinking, she was carrying 554 passengers and crew, but except 2, all were saved by the Japanese destroyers.

Size: 7.5 x 14.5 cm (3 x 5 ¾ inches)
Weight: 159 g