c1763 Engraving of Section of Smeaton’s Eddystone Lighthouse

£800.00




A fine quality large original hand-coloured engraving of Smeaton’s Lighthouse as built on the Eddystone Rocks, south of Plymouth.

It was engraved in 1763 and is titled: ‘No.9, Section of the Edystone Lighthouse upon the E & W Line, as relative to No.8, on supposition of its being Low Water of a Spring Tide. Engraved in the year 1763 by Mr Edwd Rooker’. The condition is very good, and has been mounted, framed and glazed. It shows the cross-section of the third lighthouse built upon the Eddystone Rocks, following the destruction of earlier versions designed by Henry Winstanley and John Rudyard.

The Royal Society recommended the civil engineer John Smeaton (1724-1792) for the job and his lighthouse was completed in 1759 (Edward Rooker engraved it in 1763). It was dismantled in 1882 and re-erected on Plymouth Hoe in 1884. Smeaton was the first 'engineer' to consider the problem of constructing a lighthouse at sea, and decided to build entirely in stone. The outer surface was as smooth as possible to deflect the waves and used interlocking stones, for strength.

Size image: 33 x 50.5 cm (13 x 19 7/8 inches)
Size frame: 51.5 x 69 x 1.5 cm (20 ¼ x 27 1/8 x 5/8 inches)
Weight: 2710 g