c1786 Smeatons Lighthouse Under Construction Engraving J Record

£700.00




A fine quality large original hand-coloured engraving of part of Smeaton’s Lighthouse as built on the Eddystone Rocks, south of Plymouth.

It was engraved in 1786 by James Record and is titled: ‘No.14, A View of the ROCK on the EAST SIDE, and of the WORK advanced to course XV, being the first of the ENTRY COURSES, Shewing the manner of LANDING and HOISTING the STONES etc in every stage of the BUILDING.’ The condition is very good, and has been mounted, framed and glazed. It shows the base of the third lighthouse built upon the Eddystone Rocks, following the destruction of earlier versions designed by Henry Winstanley and John Rudyard.

The Royal Society recommended the civil engineer John Smeaton (1724-1792) for the job and his lighthouse was completed in 1759. It was dismantled in 1882 and re-erected on Plymouth Hoe in 1884. Smeaton was the first 'engineer' to consider the problem of constructing a lighthouse at sea and decided to build entirely in stone. The outer surface was as smooth as possible to deflect the waves and used interlocking stones, for strength.

Size image: 33 x 50 cm (13 x 19 ¾ inches)
Size frame: 51.5 x 69 x 1.5 cm (19 7/8 x 27 1/8 x 5/8 inches)
Weight: 2830 g